Denver's Premier Family Law Attorney Expert Family Law Defense Strategies

Denver Grandparents' Right Attorney

The Rights of a Grandparent

If you are seeking access to your grandchildren, under state law there are two laws under which this could be achieved. Both the Uniform Dissolution of Marriage Act and the Children's Code could be applicable to your case. If your grandchildren are not in the physical custody of the parents, and you have been caring for them for 6 months or longer, you have the right to seek visitation or to seek legal parental rights.

At M. Trent Trani & Associates, P.C., we have over 15 years of experience in helping grandparents to gain custody or visitation, and we are Lead Counsel Rated, and highly experienced in resolving difficult custody and visitation issues.

As a grandparent you have the right to seek child custody in cases in which parents have suddenly passed away. You also have the right attain visitation rights as a grandparent after the parents have been divorced, or if the child is not currently under the physical care of the parents. Every case has unique circumstances, and we should review the situation so we can advise you of what legal action can be taken to resolve this important matter.

Your grandchildren may have been raised by you, and the parent suddenly returns and wants to take them away. Will this be in the best interests of the children? The court protects the parental rights of both mothers and fathers, but above all, the guiding principle is always the best interests of the children. Parents put their children at risk when they do not providing a stable environment, neglect their children, are involved in criminal activities, or are addicted to drugs. We would like to speak with you about your situation so we can advise you regarding custody or visitation.

Get Visitation or Custody Rights as a Grandparent

There are some cases in which a parent has died, and the grandparents of the children must take legal action to gain visitation rights. Even if you have not seen the grandchildren for a long period of time, if your son or daughter has died and the children are in the custody of the other parent, you have the right to take legal action to gain visitation rights. We are highly professional, skilled litigators in all matters related to family law, including issues involving grandparents' rights.

Call today so we can discuss your situation and advise you of how to proceed.